Use Those Benefits
It’s that time of year again. Do you still have money available from your dental insurance company that will be lost come midnight on December 31st? If you have an insurance plan that starts over every January, this pertains to you. Once the New York Times Square Ball drops at midnight, any remaining insurance money not used will magically be gone, just like 2016!
Big Treatment Plans
If you have a large treatment plan, your dental benefits can easily be drained by one large procedure. If you don’t want to wait an entire year to get the next step done, begin work this month in 2016 and in 2017 you benefits will have started over so you can move on to the next step in your treatment. Here are a few ways using up your 2016 benefits now can help you maximize your insurance money and get a start on your treatment plan:
- Root Canals: After the initial procedure has been completed for a root canal, oftentimes a dental crown still needs to be placed on that same tooth. Root canals can easily use a large portion of your insurance money leaving little to nothing for the dental crown. Not to worry, simply wait until January to do the crown so you will have a fresh pot of insurance money to use.
- Dental Implants: The initial root replacement procedure is done and billed at your first visit. After the allotted healing time takes place, then the actual tooth pieces are finished. This is a great procedure to split up and do part in 2016 and part in 2017.
- Wisdom Teeth: It is wise to use December for large procedures like getting wisdom teeth out! This month has plenty of holiday vacation for teens to stay home and recoup while they are out of school. Plus, getting wisdom teeth out usually drains most insurance benefits for the year.
- IV Sedation: If you have any appointments that require sedation dentistry, patients usually need the rest of the day off if not a couple days to heal depending on the procedure performed. Again, holiday vacations in December make this a great time to stay home without taking off extra vacation days.
- Extractions: No one likes missing work with a toothache, so get on top of your treatment plan. If you know there are teeth that need to be extracted, use this time for recovery as well as using 2016’s insurance money up. As the new year brings in more insurance money to use, you can decide how to best replace those missing teeth whether that be a dental implant, bridge, or denture.
Other Benefits of Using Your Money Now
Deductibles: Depending on your insurance plan, most insurances have a deductible that will be applied to your account annually. It’s best to get as much work done this year so you can avoid that deductible until January 1st.
Flex Spending: Just like dental insurance, some Flex Spending accounts start over with the coming new year. This is money to be used for your out-of-pocket healthcare costs including dental care. If you don’t use this money, you lose it! That’s like throwing away money!
Don’t put off your dental care until 2017. Start it now!
Treatment plans can be difficult to read sometimes with all their dental codes and jargon. Not to worry, we can help. Dr. Dave in Boise, Idaho is here to answer any questions that you may have about your treatment.
We want to see you maximize your dental insurance benefits and flex spending accounts. Give us a call today and we’ll help you finish 2016 with a smile!