What Is World Smile Day?
The smiley face is a universal symbol recognized worldwide. The very first smiley face was made by Harvey Ball who was an American commercial graphic designer. In 1963, Ball was hired to create a “happy face” to raise the morale of a company’s employees. Since then the symbol has become world renowned as representing happiness, kindness, and joy. In 1999 Ball got the idea to declare the first Friday in October as a day to share your smile.
Every year since 1999 the Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation celebrates World Smile Day in honor of Harvey Ball and his smiley face. Here are some ways you can celebrate with them:
- Kids sidewalk chalk activities drawing smiley faces
- Selfies with smiley masks
- Hospital events to get patients to smile
- Visiting nursing homes to bring smiles to the elderly
- Pass out smile certificates
- Volunteering at a homeless shelter with a smile on
Whatever you decide to do on World Smile Day don’t forget to post pictures to Facebook.com/worldsmileday with a tag #worldsmileday. Check out the Facebook page for other fun smile gear like shirts and hats!